Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Stay up to date with our latest news and events.

Sign Up Now.
Email address

Contact information

+44 (0) 20 7515 9695


Monday – Friday: 08.30 – 17.30


Hopefully this page will give you the answers you need to your questions. If you can’t find your answer please email

FAQs on Student Visas

There are changes to the process of applying for a visa to study in the UK.

If you are an international student, you will probably need a visa to allow you to enter the UK to study.

DAL will ask for a deposit from all (non-EEA) international students as a result of the  visa arrangements. You must pay a deposit before we can issue your offer letter. Further details can be found below.

As an international student you will probably need a student visa to allow you to study in the UK.

When you apply for your visa what will you need?

A offer letter number from the Academy.  The UK student visa will include the name of your chosen College, so you should make sure you know the College you want to attend before you apply for a visa.

Original copies and certified translations of the documents listed on your offer letter e.g. certificates and transcripts.

Evidence that you have enough money to pay the course tuition fees (the amount quoted on your offer letter, minus any deposit you have paid the Academy.

This money must have been in a bank account in your name for at least 28 days before you apply for a visa OR in an account held by your parent/s or legal guardian.

If you choose to use the bank account of your parents, you must include with your visa application an original birth certificate or certificate of guardianship as well as a letter from your parent/guardian stating that the money is to be used for your studies.

If you have dependents, you will need to show that you have enough money available to support them.

More information on the money you will need can be found here.

FAQs on Offer Letter

Can I apply for a student visa with my offer letter?

No, you can  apply for your visa with the offer letter issued by the Academy.

How can I pay my deposit?

You should make your payment by wire transfer into DAL’s bank account.

For more information please Contact Us.

You must quote your student number when making a payment (the number on the top of your offer letter) or we may not be able to match your deposit to your application.

My email address has changed. What should I do?

If the email address you used in your application is no longer valid, please let us know your new address by emailing

What happens if my contact email address is my agent’s and not my personal email address?

If your email address is your agent’s, then they will receive your CAS Application Email. They will need either to confirm the information themselves if they can, or to contact you for you to confirm your information.

Why is my nationality shown by country name and not as the standard nationality name?

Your nationality is written as a country name because this is how we record this information at DAL. The UKBA accept a nationality as a country name, so this will not affect your CAS application.

If my visa application is unsuccessful, can I use the same offer letter to re-apply?

No. If your visa application is unsuccessful, you will need a new offer letter to re-apply.

The College will notify the authorities if:

You do not register
You are absent without authorisation from teaching sessions
You withdraw from your course
You change your course of study
We know that you have broken the terms and conditions of the Academy

General Information

What is the minimum age to study at Docklands Academy, London?

The minimum age is currently 16 plus.

Can I start at any time?

You can start your course at any time after taking the placement test. Classes are from Monday to Friday every week apart from Bank holidays ( Most courses are offered year-round. Contact us for course availability on your desired date.

Where do your students come from?

At Docklands Academy you will meet students from all over the world.  Our classes are multinational and form an exciting community.  The majority of our students come from Europe, Latin America and Asia.

How many students are there in a class?

There are usually no more than 12 students per class, but the maximum at busy periods is 16.

How many weeks do I have to pay for?

You can pay for any number of weeks.

Do you offer any discounts?

Yes, the more weeks you pay in advance, the cheaper your lessons will be. The discount is already included in the fees.  For extra discounts check our website on a regular basis.

Do I need to buy any books or materials?

Your fees usually include the cost of a course book, which you will be given in class. We can provide you with the basic materials you need to complete the course.   If you want additional materials, you may need to purchase them yourself.

Should I arrange travel insurance before coming to the UK?

Yes, all students are strongly advised to take out travel insurance before coming to the UK.

When is Docklands Academy, London closed?

The school is closed for bank holidays (usually 8 days every year) and during the last week of December until the 2nd of January.

What is the Complaints Process?

We work to ensure that you get the level of service that you need. However, there may be times when you are not completely happy with the level of service you are getting. All staff is available for you to talk to at any time and we will get back to you within 36 hours with a response to your questions.

Does Docklands Academy, London accept group bookings?

Yes, Docklands Academy does take groups of students for courses. For more information, please e-mail .

English Course Information

Is taking an English course abroad better for my career options?

Yes! You will benefit from studding in the UK. You will meet people from different backgrounds and improve your conversation skills.

What type of English course should I choose?

A long-term programme is the best choice if you have a lower English level. We offer courses which cover 2 or 3 language levels. If you do not have much time or want to study quickly, consider an Intensive English course.

What does my English level need to be to study with Docklands Academy, London?

You can be any level of English.

How will Docklands Academy, London confirm my English language level?

On your first day of class, you will take an English placement test. Your class level will be based on your test result.

What does the placement test involve?

The test has two parts – a written test and a spoken interview with a teacher. These usually happen on the same day. After the test you will be able to start on the next Monday or Tuesday. No one fails the test; it is only to help place you at the right class.

When can I come for a placement test?

You can come for a test any time the school is open, but the best way to do it is to call the school before you come to arrange the time for a teacher to give you an interview.

How long is the placement test?

The written test takes between 20 and 40 minutes and the spoken test takes 10 minutes.

What if I fail the placement test?

You cannot fail the test. If you are a beginner you just join our first class.

Can I extend my course?

Yes, if your visa allows and there is availability at the school. You should also pay your course fees in advance.

Do I get a certificate or diploma after the course?

You will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of your course, which will show the level of class and the dates you attended.

Will Docklands Academy, London prepare me to take any official exams?

We offer exam preparation courses such as IELTS or Cambridge exams (FCE, CAE and CPE). We do not hold exams but can arrange an appointment for you in an exam centre. Please note that the exam fee is not included in the tuition price and needs to be paid separately.

Do you have private tutors?

Yes, we offer one-to-one lessons at all levels.

If I miss a lesson, can I take it at a later date?

No, not normally. If you miss a lesson you lose it and there is no refund. If you know that you will not be able to attend a lesson, then you can inform the reception and they can organise a “holiday” for you so that you do not lose your time, but you must do this in the week before the classes you want to miss.

What if I get sick and can’t attend school?

If you are sick you need to inform the school reception as soon as possible.

If you bring a doctor’s note to prove that you were sick, we will replace your lost lessons, but if you don’t bring a note, we cannot replace your lessons.

Can I change the level of my class if I think I am in the wrong level?

Yes, but you have to get permission from the Academic Head.

Prices and Enrolment

When can I start?

You can start any day of the week after taking the placement test. However, we strongly encourage students to start on a Monday or Tuesday, as it is the start of a new week and will be easier to participate in the class.

How do I enrol?

There are 4 steps to enrol:

  1. Complete the application form online
  2. Present your passport or ID to the reception and your visa if you have one when you arrive
  3. Take a placement test
  4. Pay

You can also try a trial lesson before you pay.

Why do you need a copy of my passport and/or visa?

We have to take a copy of everyone’s passport and visa because of government regulations. We have to prove that all of our students are legally in the UK.

Do I need to pay a registration fee?

Yes, you only pay the registration fee the first time you study at Docklands Academy, London. After this you only have to pay for the weeks you study.

What is the registration fee for?

The registration fee is only paid the first time you study in the school. It pays for the placement test, books and administration for when you are first registered with the school.

How much is the registration fee?


Do I have to buy a book?

No, when you join a class we will provide you with the course book.

Can I try a class first?

Yes, you can try a trial lesson before you have to pay.

Is the trial really completely free?

Yes, it is completely free. There is no deposit or cash back or anything else. If you don’t want to continue you don’t have to pay anything. There is no commitment. Most students like the classes and continue to study with us.

How much is the course?

The price depends on how many lessons per week and how many weeks you study. In addition, if you add private one to one lessons the price will increase. You can find the fees on each course page. The general rule is that the more lessons you buy the cheaper they are.

When do I have to pay?

You have to pay either before you arrive in England, when you arrive or after your trial lesson if you want to continue.

How can I pay?

You can pay by cash, card or bank transfer. For payment methods see our payments page.

Can I pay weekly or monthly instead of all at once?

You can pay monthly if you are from an EEA country and sign a contract. You will have to pay for the first and last month before you start.

Can you give me a discount?

For special offers please contact our information team –

Why are private one to one lessons so expensive?

Private lessons are much more expensive because the labour cost of teachers in the United Kingdom is very high.

How do I apply for a refund?

If you want to apply for a refund, please go to our refund page.

How long does it take for a refund to be processed?

There is no simple answer to this question, but in general we aim to have a maximum period of one month for each refund. Refund applications for students that have had visa letters and other documents from the school are more complicated and we cannot guarantee a certain period of time.

Why have you not refunded my money?

There are many reasons why we may have not refunded your money, but if we have made a decision on your refund we will tell you by email. If you have not received an email communication from us within 4 weeks of submitting your application please contact us to confirm that your application has been received.

Do your fees include VAT (Value Added Tax)?

The fee you see is all you pay. There is no additional VAT.

Social Events

What kind of social events do you have?

Please go to our Social Calender page to find out about our social events.

Usually our teachers accompany the students to planned visits.

Who can attend social events?

Any students and friends or family of students can attend.

What is the price of social events?

Many social events are free, but for some there is a cost. This is usually the cost of transport or entrance to a venue. We will always tell you if there is a cost before you join.

How can I register for a social event?

You can register for a social event by speaking to the receptionist or social event organiser at the Academy (Erol).

Where can I see photos from past social events?

The best place to see photos of past social events is on our Facebook pages.


Can you organise a taxi to pick me up from the airport?

Yes, we can. Please e-mail us

Do you arrange accommodation for students?

We do not provide accommodation, but we can help you find places to stay. Please see our accommodation page.

What kinds of accommodation are available?

There are 3 kinds of accommodation – homestay, residences and hotels and hostels – see our accommodation page

What are the prices?

The prices are all listed on our accommodation page.

Why is the accommodation so expensive?

London is a very expensive city and we will only recommend good quality accommodation.

I don’t like dogs or cats. Can you organise a house without them for me?

You can usually find a house without them.

What is homestay?

What is a student residence?

A student residence is where students live in a house or flat together.

I have a problem with my accommodation, who do I speak to?

Please speak to the accommodation officer (Erol).

How far is it from my accommodation to the school?

It depends, but we don’t like you to use accommodation more than 60 minutes commuting time from our school.

Will I get my own room?

You can choose to book either a single room or a twin room with host families or apartments. If you book a twin room in a host family you will be placed with another student of the same sex and of similar age, each with a single bed.

What type of accommodation do you recommend?

If you want to get to know as much as possible of the country and its people, we recommend that you stay with a host family.
If you want to have contact with international students, halls of residence are the ideal choice.
If independence is important for you, we recommend a hotel or an apartment.

Health and Safety

What provisions exist for students with learning/other disabilities or illness?

Docklands Academy encourages all students to study with us, regardless of any disability or illness. Education is a right that everyone should be able to experience, and we will always do our best to accommodate a student’s needs. Upon application, students must note any mental or physical illness or disability that could have an effect on their ability to successfully complete their program, or affect another student or member of staff during their stay. It is also important for us to know if there is any risk of needing emergency treatment or intervention, or any special accommodation requirements, so we are well equipped to deal with any potential problems. In the unlikely event that a student becomes too much of a risk in terms of their own health and the health of other students and staff, or is unlikely to complete their programme, their application or enrolment may be regretfully ended. Any refunds will be decided on a case by case basis.

What health and safety policies do you have at Docklands Academy, London?

Docklands Academy, London recognises its obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and related legislation. The company will, in the conduct of its activities and so far as is reasonably practicable:

  1. Protect the health and safety of its employees and others that may be affected by its activities.
  2. Limit adverse effects on the physical environment in which those activities are carried out.


Docklands Academy, London recognises that the skills and energies of its employees are amongst its greatest assets and it has a responsibility to provide for their welfare and equally for its learners, contractors, vendors and visitors. So far as is reasonably practicable, Docklands Academy, London will:

  1. Provide and maintain safe working environments and practices that do not constitute risks to health, safety and welfare.
  2. Formulate standards and policies that comply with relevant statutory requirements in respect of health, safety, welfare and the environment, as they affect employees, learners and the public.
  3. Actively promote a positive health and safety culture through the development of good practice
  4. Safeguard employees, learners and all others from foreseeable hazards with regard to health, safety or the environment, in current processes, practices and working systems.
  5. Ensure that, when new substances, plant, machinery, equipment, processes or premises are introduced, adequate guidance, instruction and supervision are provided for safe methods of work to be developed.

Train employees to be aware of their own responsibilities in respect of health, safety, welfare and environmental matters, and to ensure they actively participate in good practice that leads to the prevention of accidents and occupational and non-occupational injuries and diseases.

How is health and safety policy implemented?

Particular implementation tasks include:

  1. Issuing a local safety statement; setting out the detail of how this policy is to be applied to all employees and all other visitors.
  2. Allocation of sufficient resources to operate and maintain safe and healthy places of work.
  3. Ensuring adequate information is clearly displayed on specific hazards applicable to each site.
  4. Promotion of effective participation by all employees in joint consultation on health and safety matters.
  5. Provision of adequate fire protection, first aid equipment and health monitoring procedures at all sites.
  6. Actively encourage and take account of feedback on health, safety and environmental issues at the appropriate forums to review and continually improve current policy and procedures.

What are the responsibilities of learners and visitors?

Learners and visitors are required to comply with the company’s health and safety processes and procedures and should be registered appropriately at the reception on their arrival and departure.

Learners and visitors are not to interfere with anything provided to safeguard their health and safety.